Nivi's Adventures

Monday, August 27, 2007

Notting Hill Carnival

OK I realise my blogging has gotten a bit slack (I'm posting this almost 3 weeks after I went) but I'm sure you'll forgive me!

So apparently Notting Hill Carnival is the second largest street festival (after Carnival in Rio). Wikipedia suggests 'it began in 1959 as a response to the poor race relations' and was a huge success. It's an Africo-Caribbean festival (read good music & good food) so being a fine long weekend, I headed down to check it out.

The streets lined with people, anticipating the floats


She probably didn't take the tube...


Some of the costumes are just so ornate (and LARGE!)


Bit easier to believe it's the second largest street festival after this shot eh?

The highlight of the day for me was dancing away in the streets behind these awesome drummers ;)


Thet, me & Marissa


'The calm in the eye of the storm' My fave pic from the day :)

1 Comments:

  • Lucky you! Peter and I really wanted to go but due to the hundreds of thousand of people trying to leave Reading Festival it meant we couldn't even leave Reading! Bummer. Will certainly try to go next year :-)

    By Blogger Emily, at 12:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home