Nivi's Adventures

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Merchant of Venice @ The Globe

Time for another dose of culture, and what better than Shakespeare?!? The idea to go to this came a couple of months back when I went for a run through London passing some very iconic sights. I ran along the Thames, across Tower Bridge, past Tower of London, Monument, St Paul's, across Millenium Bridge, Tate Modern and you guessed it, last but not least, Shakespeare's Globe!

We unfortunately didn't get the best seats (we were sitting side-on to the stage) but we were all REALLY glad that we were seated, cos not only would we have been standing for 3 hours, but it also started raining in the middle of the play!


Nerissa (Portia's lady in waiting) receiving the Prince of Morocco who has come seeking Portia's hand in marriage.

Shylock, the Jewish moneylender; "Hath not a Jew eyes? "



The final scenes in the courtroom where Portia, dressed as a laywer saves the day!


Anyway, all in all a wonderful evening and kinda freaky to realise it was the first group gathering I've organised outside of NZ! Hopefully more to come...

2 Comments:

  • That's so cool!! I forgot to tell you, I went to the Globe on my last day in London, and they weren't giving tours as they were performing Merchant of Venice that day, so for five pounds I went in and experienced the Globe in the proper way! Unfortunately, I was standing in the cheap part, (though right in front of the bridge)and yes, got rained on and sun-burnt in the one sitting (er, standing). I also unfortunately only got to see half the play, as I had to leave to go and catch my flight home, but man it was a great experience. Such atmosphere, the acting was incredible, and the yard was full of high school kids who booed and cheered exactly like the ruffians of old...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:25 pm  

  • Oh that is definitely one of my must-dos sometime when I am in London! Lucky you Niv!

    By Blogger Bex, at 1:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home