Nivi's Adventures

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Observations - The CRAZY Driving!

I dont even know how to begin when it comes to the driving!

Basically it's mental! Like I want to describe to you in great detail just how crazy it is, but I dont think I can... Needless to say it's very different to being on the road in NZ! For instance, the roundabouts are crazy. It's left hand drive in Brasil, but at a roundabout, you give way to your right. So you enter a roundabout without having to look, but then you need to give way to people entering the roundabout! It's sooo odd!

Anyway here are just a few things I've observed:
  • Roads dont always have lane markings, even when it's a 2 way road!
  • People often drift into another lane (just because, not cos they are trying to change lanes)
  • If someone sees a car park on the side of the road but they're going too fast and miss it - sem problemas! They just stop suddenly, and reverse along the road until they get to their park. It doesn't matter that they're on a busy 2 lane road and are making everyone go around them.
  • This is perhaps the craziest thing I saw - A guy on a motorbike (without helmet) pull out from a side street onto a main road, in front of a bus, without even a cursory look over his shoulder! Maluco!
  • Oh and just to top it off, you very often see people cycling on the roads, but in the oncoming lanes.
A couple of times I've just had to close my eyes cos I'm sure there's gonna be a massive smash but luckily, so far so good! :)

OK to be fair, I think this was a one off but here's a pic I snapped coming home from a beach one afternoon. Not only are there horses on the road, but they are very close (you can see the wing mirror of the car), they are in the oncoming direction and all the riders are drinking (check the beer can in the guys hand)!!!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home