Nivi's Adventures

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Southern Delights - Abel Tasman National Park

So after enjoying the lovely lunch the whitewater rafting people provided, we drove to Marahau, the start of the track in Abel Tasman National Park. The NP was named after the Dutchman who was the first known European to sight New Zealand back in 1642.

I've probably overdosed on the photos - I tried really hard to cut out extraneous ones but I can't help it that NZ's so beautiful! :)


Mike, me, Pedram & Rick setting off



We were running late in starting the tramp (the theme of the entire trip really) but we managed to get to Anchorage before dark - although only just!

The start of Day 2's tramp

And what better way to start the day (the boys taking a nap while waiting for the water taxi to take a couple of the packs to Awaroa for us)



A most awesome bridge :)

As spectacular as this photo is, it really doesn't do it full justice, you're all just gonna have to come and do the Abel Tasman yourself!

Tonga Quarry - from 1904 to 1913 granite was quarried from this spot - Wellington's former Central Post Office was made with granite from here



Best of both worlds - bush as well as beach


Kiwifruit!

The walk from Awaroa Lodge to the DOC campsite - how beautiful is this?

And this is perhaps my most favourite photo :)

Dinner Day 2. After painstakingly setting my camera up to take a delayed shot, I managed to cut myself out of the picture! Lol!

Day 3 - walking across the estuary to Awaroa Lodge to catch the water taxi back to the start. Lots of shells!


Mike catching up with us, Hasselhoff styles ;)

Big motor on the boat meant we went FAST!


Just at the water's edge there are some Southern Fur Seals

Some seals sunning themselves on the rocks - fair enough I spose ;)

And a few mum & bubba's too

So all in all a fantastic trip with great company :) And now I can say I've done at least one of NZ's Great Walks. Will definitely be doing more after I get home from my OE!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home