Nivi's Adventures

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Well this is a lovely little city, and one I never intended on visiting when I left NZ. I for some reason got it into my head that I wanted to visit it but I unfortunately didn't plan my stay here very well. I was hoping to do some ocean kayaking or some sort of outdoor adventure stuff as I haven't done anything of the sort since camping at Yosemite. However altho some operators have started up for the season there were none that I could go to for the time that I was in Halifax. No drama tho, I'm already thinking I'm going to have to come back to Canada and the States so I'll just have to add doing touring of Nova Scotia to the list.

I did walk around and check out the town - quite a compact town with a great maritime history - Halifax has the largest port on the east coast (as it doesnt freeze in winter!). Halifax is also the home of Pier 21, Canada's equivalent to Ellis Island. Over a period of approx 50 years from the 1920s, more than a million immigrants entered Canada at Pier 21.

Other than that, I didn't do a great deal, just walked around the town. Here are some photos...

Some shots of the harbour - it was a bit of a grey day unfortunately.

It seems that Citadels are all the rage! I walked round this but unfortunately the tours hadn't started up yet for the summer so I had to just walk around making educated guesses as to what was what...





And just a shot of the city. I thought the building with the dome and flag might be the Legislature Building, seeing as though Halifax is the capital of Nova Scotia, but that's just a guess. A nice shot of town anyway...

I'm leaving Halifax today for Montreal - another mammoth train ride but it'll be my last one on VIA rail as from Montreal I head into the USA. Take care people, catch you later :)

3 Comments:

  • Hey Niv, been a while since we have heard from you - hope your travels are going well!

    By Blogger Bex, at 6:11 am  

  • Hello there!

    it's good ole nova scotia! the maritimes.. the home of maple land's peaceful people...

    did you folks check out peggy's cove?

    nice pics.. it'll take time going thru this blog.. but you've covered some nice places.. it's worth the wait :)

    By Blogger Angelo Embuldeniya, at 2:56 pm  

  • no Bahrein yet? :D

    By Blogger Angelo Embuldeniya, at 2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home